Oh, Rosy. Or is it Rosey? Oldest always wrote it as Rosey. I always thought it was Rosy. Since it is me telling the story, I will use Rosy.
Although we enjoyed Calgary, it was a terrible weekend as well.
My friend and her family agreed to watch Rosy for us, and for that I was truly grateful. It isn't the easiest thing finding a babysitter for a dog, even if it is only for one night!
Anyway, at 21:00 on Friday night I got a text from my friend. She informed me that Rosy had run away and that they had spent their Friday night driving around looking for her. Not just her, but her mum, too. And her husband spent hours on foot searching the neighbourhood.
Well, I felt awful. I felt awful for my friend, they felt awful and were doing everything in their power to find her. I felt bad for Rosy. She must have been terrified!
My friend asked me to check my messages to see if the vet or Humane Society had called with news about Rosy. I told her that I had the old fashioned kind of answering machine (well, not that old-fashioned; there isn't a tape) and that I couldn't access the messages away from home. She came over to our house to check the messages (I felt so bad with her doing all this). There was a message from the EVEC (Edmonton Veterinary Emergency Clinic) asking us to call them. So, she did. And she found out that Rosy had been hit by a car and that a bystander saw it. This kind stranger took Rosy to the EVEC where Rosy was declared dead.
And so she called me to tell me the news. I was sad. But I was broken-hearted for my girls. Oldest, in particular. I didn't sleep much Friday night.
I decided not to tell the girls until we were back home in Edmonton. I wanted the trip to Calgary to be fun and a happy memory. (if that would be possible).
I told the girls Saturday night after we got home. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. It is a terrible thing knowing that what you need to tell your children is going to break their hearts. That you are going to be the one who breaks their hearts with the news that you have to tell them. But that you HAVE to tell them and deal with the situation.
We decided to bury Rosy at my parents' house beneath the tree Oldest received and planted in Grade One. We drove out after church to do it.
| If you look very carefully, you can see a small spruce tree in front of a blue rain barrel. That's where Oldest thought Rosy would like to be buried best. |
| The shovel marks the spot. Close to the house and the zip line. |
Paul dug the hole. He was very careful and made sure the hole was nice and deep. Each of the girls put one of Rosy's toys in the hole with her and then we covered her up.
| Starting the digging |
| She wanted to help, too. |
| Middle and Youngest wanted to decorate the tree for Rosy. They found leaves and grass to adorn the tree. |
| My parents were great (of course)! Dad helped with the burial and Mum had a wonderful lunch for us. |
It was a sad and hard day. Not to mention cold!
I hope and pray that we did well.
| Rosy's resting place. Rest in peace, Friend. (And notice the decorated tree)! |
I made a little obituary for Rosy. Here it is:
On 19 October 2012, at 21:00 Rosy Dog Maynes passed away at 167 Ave and 87 Street in Edmonton, Alberta. She was born on 3 January 2011 in Edmonton, Alberta and became part of the family on 7 March 2011. She will be greatly missed by her family, especially *Oldest, Middle and Youngest.* Rosy loved to play with the girls. She loved tug-of-wars! *Youngest* would never let her win and would drag her across the hardwood floor, showing her that she was stronger than Rosy. Rosy was also learning to fetch. She loved to run after the tennis balls and was starting to get very good at returning the ball so that we could throw the ball again. She knew how to "sit," 'stay,' and, 'go play' and 'mine.' She went for a walk every night and enjoyed smelling all the fun things that were on the walking route. She didn't like baths, but would entertain them, mostly because she was only four kilograms and couldn't get away. She loved to follow the zip line at Grandma and Grandpa's house. She would run through the creek just so she could continue chasing it.
Rosy was affectionately known as "Pups" and "Rosy Dog Maynes."
The children at school enjoyed Rosy, too. She was petted much, hugged often and picked up and loved. A certain lunch lady would say, when she saw Rosy coming to school, "oh, there's my little lamb!" the students loved how soft she was. One girl even bought Rosy a winter coat. Rosy was the highlight of after school, and often had a line of children waiting to pet her and say hi to her.
Internment was held on 21 October at Grandpa and Grandma's house. She was buried with *Oldest's* Grade 1 tree as a marker.
Visit pjmaynesfamily.blogspot.com after tomorrow for pictures and more details.
![]() |
| The first picture we had of her (with her brother). When we went to see the dogs, the boy was a crazy terror, whereas Rosy loved to cuddle and snuggle. We knew she was the one! |
| Oldest and Rosy |
| Middle with Rosy |
| Youngest with Rosy |
| Rosy |
| Getting lots of loves from Middle. |
| She never lost that look! |

1 comment:
(sob)
Seriously.
Post a Comment