23 October 2012

Waste Management Centre with Oldest and DDM

I was so looking forward to the day when one of my girls would get to go to the Waste Management Centre for a field trip. And the day finally came! I was so excited!

Oldest is studying waste in Science. It is a fabulous unit, by the way.

And we went to a world-class facility. It was awesome. I would love to go again. I asked so many questions. Don't worry, I let the Grade Fours ask first. I'm not a tour-guide-hog! And a geek at heart, since I got so excited to go to the Waste Management Centre.

Here are some pictures. It was a great trip!

We are standing on top of the Clover Bar landfill that closed in 1999. Looking southeast at the new facilities that replace the whole idea of a landfill.

The recycling building

That's all recyclable material. Eww!

Here is the garbage place, the holding place before it is sorted. By machine and manually. Just think about that for a minute.

The brand-new-not-even-open Gray's Recycling building. Here they will further  sort our blue bags and remove the fabric and specific plastic.

It is a dome-shaped building. Very clean right now.

No comments:

A Favourite Poem

I fall
down a lot
specially on starry nights
some might say
"Look out where you're going"
I could call back
"You misunderstand my travel plans"

William Nichols

This is from my bus transfer from 20 September 1999. I still have it!