24 October 2012

A Romantic Weekend Getaway?

That can't be-- it's us we're talking about. My mum said, "Oh, he is just joking about the weekend. He'll really take you away on a romantic getaway" when I told her our plans for August long weekend.  I unfortunately, knew better. 

My husband was taking me to Dawson Creek for the August long weekend to work with him. Well, to be his grunt. Or gopher. To help build a cabin that isn't his, or his parents'. Nope. Just a work weekend. And we worked!

However, it was a great weekend. If there is anything Paul and I do well together, it is work. And work well.
I guess you could say we make a good team. And I think that's a good thing. 

We packed our tenting supplies to go camping next to the construction zone, as we had no idea what to expect when we got there. Paul's dad was there, and we thought he was camping. Earl (Paul's dad) was helping his friend Joel build the cabin. It is Joel's land and cabin. Joel's nephew and sister live in Dawson Creek, so Joel and Earl were crashing at their place, and invited us to stay there, too. Oh thank goodness! I was grateful for running water and food! Carolyn and Charlie were amazing. They are so kind! And Charlie is an amazing cook. And gardener. And I am sure many other things, but I don't really know him very well.

Looking out over Charlie's garden and his land was an eye-opening experience for me. Well, the whole trip up, actually. I have been to Ft. McMurray, and was expecting the west side of Alberta and east side of British Columbia to look like what the east side of Alberta looks like. Whoa, was I ever wrong! There is beautiful farm land!


Raised bed gardening. It was awesome!


I was able to see and visit with my cousin, Roxanne and her family. It was so fun to see her again!

Starting to build the rafters. This was NOT the first day we got there. We finished putting up an exterior wall and then built the loft floors. The hubby's backside. 

Same picture, but with Joel this time.

The view from the eventual front door. Gorgeous!

Making progress...

The front of the cabin

The bedroom and washroom

The kitchen (the wall to the left belongs to the washroom)

My usual work space

Charlie and Paul up high

Don't look at my silly face. I'm standing in the front door looking out, while the picture is looking in.

The view. And my commode.

We worked until late at night. It was a lot of work! We got there Friday night. We worked all day Saturday and then Monday. We left Tuesday at about 2 pm and drove back to Barrhead to find our girlies.

I would go again. Even if I had to work that hard. It was definitely worth it. Thanks to Charlie's cooking.



No comments:

A Favourite Poem

I fall
down a lot
specially on starry nights
some might say
"Look out where you're going"
I could call back
"You misunderstand my travel plans"

William Nichols

This is from my bus transfer from 20 September 1999. I still have it!