28 October 2012

A Wedding, a Campout and Insufficient Memory

I feel so blessed to have a family who wants to hang out with each other. And so, for the second year in a row, we had the GFC, or the Gibbs Family Camp.

This year the weather was much nicer, as you can see by the pictures. We enjoyed the lake this year. My dad was able to borrow some canoes, so that was great fun. Plus we had more dingys this year. Dingys are always fun. However, I must admit something here. I cannot row one of those things to save my life! They are awful! 

This year was not without some hiccups, though!
 
 
First of all, I filled up Daman's truck with stuff. Mostly food and coolers. But still. Last year I fit it all in the van. Or rather, Paul fit it all in the van. This year there was no way it would all fit. And, I had Daman go to Canadian Tire and buy more coolers as I ran out of room! Eek!

My parents had the chili for the first night's supper. Dad was working late and so Mom sent the chili with my grandpa. Which makes perfect sense except Grandpa's truck broke down! 

Anyway, we ate eventually, and Grandpa was saved, so that was the last hiccup until the very last moment of camp when we were driving away. Aunt Ruth had a flat tire, just after we gave her a boost! (Irony: Last year she gave us a boost so we could go home)! And a hard flat tire at that. Paul had to work very hard to get the spare tire off. But he did it (of course he did)!

Grandpa and Virginia were married on the beach by the bishop of the Barrhead Ward.

The Nordal, Burt, Dixon, Hoag, Hoag, Hoag, Hornberger and Maynes families were all represented.

There were tonnes of food!

The weather was warm and we enjoyed the lake immensely! 

My phone only has enough room for 1500 pictures. I didn't know this. So I spent a bit of time deleting pictures so I could take some, but then decided it was more fun playing than deleting. So, I don't have a lot of pictures, but we were there and had so much fun!

 


Beautiful place and the water was almost not-freezing!

A cute fish! The only one I saw. the fishermen/girls were disappointed the second year in a row!

Our heads swimming to the island



Getting ready for a wedding

I kept this one because I don't know if I ever get a picture of my brother!

The view for the wedding, and for all week



The bride and groom





I have a few of these pictures. I never would have imagined my grandpa wearing a ring . And yet, here he is. A shocker, really.

See, the ring is on. Maybe old dogs can learn new tricks!

Our group shot didn't really work this year very well. But we tried. This is the best I have. The Dixons have the 'official one' that is only missing the Hornbergers.

 

So that's that. Until next year. Same place? I guess we'll see. Any suggestions?

No comments:

A Favourite Poem

I fall
down a lot
specially on starry nights
some might say
"Look out where you're going"
I could call back
"You misunderstand my travel plans"

William Nichols

This is from my bus transfer from 20 September 1999. I still have it!