21 September 2011

Summer 2011-- first two weeks of July

Sonja and I went on a road trip to Calgary to see Wicked at the SoAB Jube. Why, you ask? Price, as I could get a group rate if I went to Calgary. And it worked out perfect, since I was able to pick up Oldest, as she had spent the previous week with Uncle Michael and Aunt Stacey and family. It was a great production, and I left the auditorium happy that I had met Elphaba and Ga-Linda!

We stayed at Aunt Ruth's house and had great fun with them. Aunt Ruth was so kind, and treated us to our very first pedicures. It was fun to hang out with them! Then we were off, as I had to get ready for YW Camp!

This year I decided that I would be the Camp Director-- I know I  sound crazy, but long story short, it was the best solution. The fourth year girls and the YCLs went a day early and we hiked Whitehorse Falls trail.  On Tuesday the younger girls came out and we met up with them at William A Switzer Provincial Park at the Beaver Ranch group campground. (I didn't get a lot of pictures this year, which is sad, because a week after I got home from camp, I was released.)


            The older girls leaving for the overnight hike. Duce, Johnston, Hoag and Maynes as leaders
                                                      CG, RJ, SG, RJ, KT, PB, BP


                                The girls in my van on the way out. PB, CG, KT,RJ, and BP

Getting ready to leave for the hike-- no rain right now!
PS--Take no heed to the date. Absolutely wrong.

The weather forecast was very bleak. And oh, how I prayed. And then prayed some more. And you know what? Prayer works. It rained most of the way to Cadomin, and then for the first kilometre or so into the overnight hike. Then, when we go to our destination, and had set up the tents, it rained again, for about 20 minutes. Timing was perfect. And then, on the way down the mountain, the sun began disappearing and then one of the girls said, "It's going to start to rain." To which I replied, "Not until we are done." And honestly, we got to the vans, took off our backpacks, and the rain started again. But, we had finished the hike and had an hour drive to find the rest of the girls, and so the rain could come.

We went horse back riding with Larry from Larry's Riding Stables. We enjoyed Miette Hot Springs.

Jennifer Hoag Maynes
Larry and me. Enough said.

Oh, and let me tell you a story about Matt and Graham. I had hiked with an extra pair of shoes, my sandals, so that at the destination, I could take off my stinky shoes and try to rest my feet. They have a velcro strap around the heel, and so I had used that to attach them to my backpack. I had the thought that it might not be the best way to carry them, but since they were okay on the way in, they surely would be okay on the way out. Not so. Anyway... We came to a clearing, and then it was discovered that one of my sandals was missing. I was sad. I hoped that some of the hikers in the back would see it and pick it up. Not so. I wondered if I should throw my other sandal into the bush (but knew that that would be littering and didn't want to do that). A baby rabbit distracted me, and then I looked up and saw two teenage boys running (and I mean running) with MY shoe in their hands. They had run almost a kilometre to catch up with us. I am pretty sure they were pretty disappointed when they found out that the shoe belonged to the old lady of the group and not the pretty girls, but, nonetheless, they left with hugs and praises. They even made my facebook status when I got home from camp.What kind young men they were.

And then, guess what?

Those boys were at the hotsprings when we were. The girls were giddy. I, was thankful.

Because of a shoe.

No, because of goodwill.

No, wrong word.

Charity.

 <3 :) <3

Have a great day!

No comments:

A Favourite Poem

I fall
down a lot
specially on starry nights
some might say
"Look out where you're going"
I could call back
"You misunderstand my travel plans"

William Nichols

This is from my bus transfer from 20 September 1999. I still have it!