November was a busy month. A sad month. A happy month. A very long month. An exciting month. Let me try to elaborate...
I went to Ft. McMurray the first weekend of November to visit some Young Women. It was a good trip, I enjoyed myself! The people were friendly and I got to see a lot of people. And my! how it has changed since I was up there in 2000-- although I guess that means it has been a while.
We went to the home opener game for the U of L basketball team and cheered on the girls and Inge! It was lots of fun, plus it helped that the Quilty family helped run after our runaways (to the popcorn concession, to the bouncy castle, to the climbing wall, to the water fountain, to the.... well, you get the idea).
Paul's nephew, Matt, was marrying Krista in Draper, Utah the next weekend. We flew down for that. That was a bit of an adventure. Since we booked close to the trip, we weren't able to fly together. That meant that Paul took the two youngest girls and flew to SLC via Denver, CO. Oldest and I flew together to SLC via San Fransisco, CA. The flight to Denver left at noon and the one to SF left at 13:30. We were at EIA at 9 am, since they recommend that you are there three hours early for international flights. Bah! That meant I woke up at 05:50.
So, long story short, the three of them got on their plane to Denver. I tried to get on too, but there wasn't enough room on the plane on the leg to SLC from Denver (so sad). Anyway, our flight was delayed until 14:30. And then delayed again. And then yet again. Anyway, by the time we had de-iced and such, we were taking off at about 16:00. Well no worries, there isn't snow in SF, we'll be fine from now on. Right? Well... we were fine, and there was no snow, but there was fog and wind. Sigh. We got off the plane in SF. Tired and me sicky (I don't fly well). I turned on my phone in the airport and while I was checking to departure boards I receive a text from my mom informing me that my dear step-grandma had passed away. I am reading the text, and looking at the board, and realizing that we are an hour earlier now, and that my flight to SLC has been delayed another 2.5 hours. Oldest is hungry. I am very queasy. I am sad. I am frustrated. I just stand at the departure board and let the tears flow. Big, fat tears streaming down my face. Oldest holding my hand probably wondering what on earth is wrong with her mother. Anyway, the two and a half hours end up to be three and then three and a bit more and then three and a bit more again, and yet again. We board the plane to SLC at 21:30 SF time and get into SLC at 00:18. The entire flight was one roller coaster. We had the very front seats, and I still had to use the complimentary white bag. Oldest, thankfully, fell asleep and slept through the worst of it. I know it is a bad flight when the flight attendant shrieks because of the turbulence. Ah, making memories...
My aunt Judy was a dear and picked us up from the airport and drove another 45 minutes to her house. My poor girl. She was such a trooper! So, in total kit took us 13 hours to get to my aunt's house in Utah. It made me wonder why we hadn't driven (not really, but, you know...).
Friday we drove to where Sheri and John were staying. Midway maybe? I can't remember. We had fun swimming and playing with cousins. Then we came back to Herriman (Aunt Judy's) and she had prepared a family get-together with the family that is down there. That was very nice of her. I got to see eight cousins (and their families), three uncles, and three aunts. And enjoy yummy food!
Saturday was the wedding. We drove to Draper to be at the wedding for 9 am. We were late, but they were kind and waited for us. Then we drove to Provo and went to the wedding reception. Then we surprised my friend, Raya and visited with her family, and then we drove somewhere else for a family supper. A lot of driving. I think people in Utah like to drive around cities a lot. I am used to driving, but it isn't the same type of driving. I drive out of the city to get to another city. There you drive through cities without realizing you are in a different city and it is always a city! Then we drove back to Herriman to go to bed!
| Our new family picture! By Alex Maynes |
| So happy! |
| There were llamas at the reception. Why? I don't know. |
| More llamas. They were a hit, as you could imagine. |
Sunday we attended Sacrament Meeting with Aunt Judy and Uncle Scott. Then Paul drove Oldest and myself back to the airport so we could go home. Oldest had Zoo School the next week and wanted to be home for that. So, long story short: planes were delayed. I was at the airport at 16:00, flight to SF was delayed. Finally got to SF. But our plane to Edmonton had already left. Or so the departure board said. I told Oldest that we might as well go to the gate we were supposed to leave from, just to see. We did. It was closed. I tried to get on a plane to Calgary. It was full. Then, on the departure board, up popped our flight! It wasn't gone, it was delayed (surprise). Anyway, we got home at 02:30.
I decided that we'd sleep in and go to Zoo School a bit late. I didn't think Oldest would appreciate a four hour night's sleep. She doesn't need to know about those yet. Maybe Zoo School will be another post. I'll check for pictures.
Congratulations Matt and Krista!
Thanks again to Alex Maynes for taking pictures!








No comments:
Post a Comment