05 May 2009

Five Questions

Well, well, well, It is that time again. And what are we going to talk about today? Well, my dear friend, Celena, asked me five questions and told me that I should answer them on my blog. So, here goes.

1. What are your favorite qualities that your siblings posses?
I am fortunate in that I think my siblings are the best ever. I truly love the relationship that I have with each of them and wish that we could all live together again. But then they'd all grow tired of me very quickly. So visiting and being with each other is good.

Nathan is my brother. He is two years younger than me. I can think of one time in the 30 years we've hung out where I've been really angry at him. And I think that isn't bad. He is good. Almost to the point where it hurts to watch him. He is a good dad. He is a good son. He calls me every Sunday and talks to me. Not just about youth stuff, either. We talk. And I anticipate his call. He is a good brother. His wife, Julie, is a wonderful match for him and I love being invited over to their house. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to return the favour. He is dependable. When I got stuck with no one to rescue me, I knew that I could call him. And that he'd come. Sure enough, he did.

Sonja is the sister that I would like to grow to be like someday. She is brave, self-confident, funny and smart. She encourages me to embrace my foolish desires. And as a result, we are going to Keith Urban, making environmentally friendly shampoo to sell at Farmers' Markets, becoming hermits as soon as possible, and jumping on the P90X bandwagon. I imagine that someday we will be the next generation of Sheri Dew and Wendy Watson Nelson. Touring the country and having people come and pay money to listen to us speak. I admire her courage. In hindsight, I spent WAY to long at a job that I shouldn't have because I was too scared I wasn't good enough to try something else. She isn't afraid to try new scary things. She went back to school and is now working in the ICU at a hospital. See, brave and smart.

Erin is my baby sister. She is eight years my junior. She was just a little girl when I left home. Erin frustrates me sometimes because I see me in her. She does things that I know I should and could, but due to laziness or a lack of willpower, I don't. So if I would refine myself a lot, I would be like her. She is dedicated. She has confidence in others. Let me explain. She thinks that I can make her wedding cake. I have never made a wedding cake before. But she thinks that I can do it. And you know what, I am going to make her wedding cake. And it is going to look awesome. She reads her scriptures without fail. She writes in her journal. She is very patient and detail-orientated. I am not patient enough with that sort of thing. And yet I can see parts of who I am in wanting to be patient and able to deal with the minute details and love it.

And so there you have it. The answer to question #1. Maybe I will stop there for now, and will get to the others another day.

Have a wonderful day!


2. In what ways do you wish you were more like your parents?

3. How is your life different than you thought it would be at 18?

4. If you had a day with no children and a clean house what would you do?

5. What is your best memory from when we lived together?

Good Luck!

3 comments:

Celena said...

Awww I'm your dear friend!! Hope the other questions aren't too hard, it was hard to come up with questions that a) I didn't know the answers to and b) that weren't too personal for you to answer on your blog.

erin said...

Jen, I started crying instantly when I started reading, and I kept crying all the way through. You are a fantastic sister and I know that the cake will be fantastic. Years ago you said, "Erin, I want to try to make your wedding cake" and I said "okay", I am just fulfilling what was decided years ago.
Our date was fun last night, I will miss those dates when I move to Lethbridge. Your girls are hilarious and fun, they make me laugh.
You wrote very nice things about me, making me sound better than I actually am.
I think it would be "fun"ny if we all lived together again.

Sonja said...

oh sniffle. Jen you make me want to be what you say I am.

A Favourite Poem

I fall
down a lot
specially on starry nights
some might say
"Look out where you're going"
I could call back
"You misunderstand my travel plans"

William Nichols

This is from my bus transfer from 20 September 1999. I still have it!