08 April 2010

Our New House 5410 164 Ave

Here is the story about our new house. It really isn't as complicated as people make it out to be. So let me explain. You've heard it from the horse's mouth (is that how the idiom goes? and what is the history behind that one?) And I am a pretty good source.

We went looking for a house with our new realtor (a long silly story) whom is just great. Let me put a plug out for Paul Jamieson of Realty Executives. I called him, a bit frantic and frazzled-- and he set up appointments the very next day to see 13 houses. I knew he was a keeper on our very first meeting. Anyway, back to the story...

We were driving down the road and  my Paul said something about liking that house (5412 164 Ave). And I said, umm. Very non-committal and such. Anyway, he pulled over and jumped out of the van with Paul. This two Paul thing might get confusing. Paul Jamieson called the realtor on the sign and asked if we could get in to see the house. He said we could, but that it was pending. (In a market like today's most realtor's won't even take the time to show pending houses). But we were able to go in anyway. I loved it! And so did both Pauls. Later, we put in a backup offer on it. The house's realtor called Paul Jamieson back and said that the house right next door would be for sale too. So we put an offer on that too! So, the first house sold. And we bought the second house, right next door, 5410 164 Ave. 

The house is not complete. And we have to be out of our house before it is. So, we've rented a duplex (month-to-month lease) and whenever our house is finished, we'll move in! The projected date is 30 June 2010. I am not holding my breath!

Anyway, here are some pictures. The finished house is not our house, but our house will look identical--if we want it to (well except in reverse). The pictures of the 'bare naked' house, that one is ours. 

Living Room with ugly fireplace and everything else pretty self explanatory?! The stairs split and you go left to the bonus room or right to the three bedrooms.





Details? You want details? Alright... 1780 square feet, or 165 m2 for my more current friends (I think Omi might be the only one)!. It has a Canadian Maple hardwood, stained dark. The counter in the kitchen is granite, walk in pantry. Main floor laundry, bonus room above the garage, 2.5 washrooms, unfinished basement, no back alley access and the yard is not big. Bigger than what I've got, but definitely not big. Colours? I don't know. Suggestions are encouraged. I want a mantle and different colour tile. I would love to have suggestions on colour of walls-- inside and out. (Keep in mind that there are strict architectural controls). I want this house to be the cutest on the block if possible. I am used to that!





That is the story for the day.

Have a great day! We love you!

2 comments:

erin said...

The spindles seem to be a big hit with the girls. I saw a house with green siding today that was really nice.

Jocelyn said...

I love your kitchen. I will not covet but dream of one day owning a house that has a decent kitchen. Looks like a nice house. Have you thought of hiring an interior designer for colors? I am someone who would cause for me putting colors together just would not fly.

Are you still in your same ward?

A Favourite Poem

I fall
down a lot
specially on starry nights
some might say
"Look out where you're going"
I could call back
"You misunderstand my travel plans"

William Nichols

This is from my bus transfer from 20 September 1999. I still have it!