The shortest month of the year always seems to be so full of stuff to do! Thank goodness for the extra day this year!
So, this was the text I got from Paul, reminding me that it was the 29. (I wonder if he had forgot and then when he was at work he was reminded and then thought he should text me to make sure I remembered). Regardless, it was appreciated. Even though I was up! And then, Leap Day seemed to be more like April Fool's Day, as I couldn't get hot water for my shower! Why wouldn't we have hot water?! Thank goodness for March 1. It was a hot-water-day!
In Brownies we went to the Telus World of Science and learned about astronomy. I learned a lot. On Friday and Saturday evenings in the winter, you can go to the Observatory and check out the stars... for free! I thought everything cost money these days. Turns out, I was wrong!
At TWoS, they told me to check out weather.com to find out when the best time to see the transit of Venus and to check out Aurora Watch by the U of A for information about the Northern Lights (although I learned that night that they aren't called that by scientists. In fact, they aren't even called Aurora Borealis (I think that is redundant--like saying the northern lights in the north). They are simply called Aurora. You can learn something new everyday!
Here's another link that can direct you to a lot more stuff about cool space stuff! Enjoy!
So, I learned about the Transit of Venus (who knew)! and why the Aurora occur. Turns out the Inuit aren't shining flashlights at some great party ;). Then I got to hold outer space!
That's right! Check these out:
My Brownie checking out what is magnetic and what isn't.
My hand and a piece of outer space!
So, this rock came from outer space. It landed in Farmer X's field. Law says if it lands on your land, it is yours. Frank, an astronomer, who works at the TWoS, saw its fiery descent to Earth, and went out looking for it. He found it. Farmer X was kind enough to donate it to the TWoS. Which means I got to hold it. Thanks Farmer X!
Here is a video from YouTube of a larger rock coming to earth. Way larger.
She liked the shiny ones (the shiny ones aren't space material).
Something and Fool's Gold.
Look at me learn! :) Have a great day!
1 comment:
This post reminded me of the time I smoked a bird with the windshield of my car. Why? you ask. Well, when I smoked the bird I was yelling whilst driving. I think seeing this would produce the same result.
Post a Comment