13 August 2007

The essay I wrote

My not-first-place essay... or second... or third... or even an honourable mention...

I decided to be brave and let you read it.

It had to be no more than 150 words. I was trying to win a $450 purse from Mandarina Duck. The essay had to be a spirited defense of the contents of my purse, and since I don't have anything ridiculous in my purse, but still wanted to try to win, I had to put a spin on it.

Enjoy...

A Spirited Defence of Contents of Her Purse

She is three and a half. It started with a KFC bucket. Her purse and handbag collection now ranges from the all-practical backpack, the Dora purse, unused Christmas gift bags, a bucket, and my personal favourite, the plastic gold metallic clutch. And every single one of them is absolutely necessary to carry the unessential items within them. A barrel of monkeys, rocks, dandelions, a facecloth, an expired library card, one of those pretend cards the credit card company sends, some rock hard Swedish berries, a too-small shoe, three puzzle pieces and 250 kleenexes-without the box.

All of these things, squirreled away. Because really, it's not what you've got, it's knowing you have it- chockfull, overflowing with whatever. It's not about sense or reason... it's about carrying a purse.

Jennifer Maynes

A Favourite Poem

I fall
down a lot
specially on starry nights
some might say
"Look out where you're going"
I could call back
"You misunderstand my travel plans"

William Nichols

This is from my bus transfer from 20 September 1999. I still have it!