27 May 2011

A Hike in the Mountains



Sonja and I went to hike out a promising trail to take the Young Women on for an overnight hike this summer at Camp. We had an adventure! It was beautiful and fun and I learned a lot. I am sure glad that we went instead of just winging it!

We woke up early and left for Whitehorse Provincial Park Recreation Area, near Cadomin, AB. Long story short, we needed gas, and when we got to Cadomin and saw this sign, our hearts rejoiced!



But then, dear reader, our hearts dropped. Look at the next picture. Where, oh where, are the gas pumps?


Well, surely now. We should be able to find some gas. We thought we would start by asking the oh-so-less-than-friendly short-order cook/cashier/bar keep at this store:




Why would anyone put that sign up on their building? (I am not talking about the Cheviot mine one, rather the "Hole in the Wall Cafe: Eat Here, Get Gas)." Does that make anyone really want to eat there?

Surely we could find a dear soul who would sell us a jerry can of gas, even if they had charged us a crazy price, I am sure we would have taken it! We walked around Cadomin, knocking on doors. Alas, no one wanted to sell us gas. I saw their jerry cans, and even though I understand that they have to bring their gas in too, I would have thought that someone would have had some compassion. But no. So, dear reader, let this be a lesson to you: Cadomin, AB does not have gas. Even though they say they do.

So, we called AMA. And we waited. And waited. And enjoyed the mountains, even though there was no washroom to be had. Another note: The "Hole in the Wall Cafe" does not have public washrooms. Keep that in mind, if ever you find yourself in the Hamlet of Cadomin.



I just got bored and took a close up of the dirty car. The roads we took to get there were less than desirable. And when I say less than desirable, imagine muddy logging/mining roads that were very remote. At one time I suggested to Sonja not to slow down in the fear that she'd get stuck. All this on a road called Highway 40. The word highway, I guess, can have many meanings. Something else I learned: Go to Hinton and then back South and East to get to Cadomin. Driving past Robb isn't the best idea, if you are looking for a highway-like road experience.

So, CJ, the AMA tow-truck man came to rescue us. Hmm... a white charger... a white tow truck... I see a connection.


Well, after waiting for CJ for 90 minutes, and having left The Ranch some time before, were we ever glad to see these!


This is at Cadomin Caves Trailhead. The caves have been close because of White Nose Disease.

May 14, 2010 Update: Due to significant geographic progressions of white-nose syndrome in bats, and as per consensus of a provincial white-nose-syndrome working group (Alberta Parks, Parks Canada, Academia, Alberta Fish and Wildlife), the Parks Division is temporarily closing Cadomin Cave via Ministerial Order. They will be installing a locked metal gate over the cave’s entrance, designed to prevent human access but to facilitate bat movements to and from the cave.


 Again, I am unsure of some of the wording. In this case, temporary. They've been closed for a year. And I don't think that the public are allowed in. Which I am totally okay with! No mama, human or bat alike, want our babies to get sick. And so I say close the caves! Forever! Just, be brave and say it!

So this was the tunnel we needed to drive through to get to the Whitehorse Falls Hike Trailhead. But we didn't drive through it. I will  tell  show you why later. Here is some information of where we were, if you are interested: http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Whitehorse-Falls-near-Hinton-AB-6863

 

And here perhaps, are some of the friendliest locals around. They're just a little skittish. 


 And this is the start of the hike. See the snow? And the frozen waterfalls?! How exciting!



Check out "A Hike in the Mountains Part II" for more riveting story-telling and you'll find out if Sonja and I survived our scouting expedition, not for scouting. 

No comments:

A Favourite Poem

I fall
down a lot
specially on starry nights
some might say
"Look out where you're going"
I could call back
"You misunderstand my travel plans"

William Nichols

This is from my bus transfer from 20 September 1999. I still have it!