Trent River Falls
Ruby at the Comox Air Museum
Paul left with the girls from Barrhead on Friday, while I was still at camp. I flew out to meet them. The 78 minute flight was great. I had planned to take Iylah with me, since she'd be free, but Paul loaded all his girls in the van and embarked on the drive to Comox, BC by himself. (I can't quite believe it)! He stayed overnight with my Uncle Brent in Kamloops and took them to church on Sunday in Courtenay. Then they came to the airport to pick me up! I was so happy to see them!!!
The week was uncharacteristically hot on the Island, and we loved it. We rented a home right on the ocean near the Powell River ferry. It was terrific, and Hilda, the lady who owned it was fantastic. I am tempted to tell you all the info and do a little advertising on her behalf, but then I might not get to be able to pick my time next summer when I want to go again! So, let me book first, and then I will be happy to tell you all about it! Hahaha.
We spent a lot of time at Kye Bay beach. I personally loved it. Ruby preferred Miracle Beach, but it was a little bit farther away. And we went when it was high tide, so I missed out on all the sand. She loved playing with the rocks and found two boys to help her make a rock wall. I don't currently keep any journals, mine or the girls, and so I forget what we spent each day doing. But I think Monday thru Wednesday was spent at the beach. Or Trent River Falls. Paul found it! The last time we were out there he couldn't remember where it was (because the new highway wasn't around fifteen years ago). But, he found it and we loved it. There are little bowls in the rock of the river bed, and so you can go swimming in them. Some holes are big and deep, and some are small and shallow.
Wednesday night we went to the Britton's home. I must say, they are some of the most kind people ever. When we went out in 2002 we pitched our tent on their front lawn at 3 in the morning without letting them know we were coming. And Bro. Britton says he wonders every morning in the summer when he goes out for a walk if he'll see some strangers' tent on his front lawn. We had supper with them. This is the kind of people they are: their power was off all day and Sis. Britton still managed to cook a roast beef, mashed potatoes and veggies, a garden salad, and pumpkin pie all on her camp stove. (She was lucky enough to have cooked the roast beef and pie in the morning when all power was on). They have pear, walnut, wild saskatoon trees and a huge garden with raspberries and grapes and everything else in it. They have two sheep, which Ruby thought was great and brought sheer terror to Aubrey. I hope that when I am nearing 80 I can keep up that well!
The men went salmon fishing on Friday near Campbell River. They did well. I must say, I have never tasted fish so good. And I like fish. But seriously, if you ever have the chance, and even if you aren't a fish person, try it! We drove up to Telegraph Cove on Saturday and went on a Whale Watching tour. I was quite doubtful we'd see anything. But, we saw about 15ish orca whales. And they weren't a kilometre away. It was breath-taking and beautiful.
Our week went much too quickly. On Sunday after church we said our farewells to Grandma and Grandpa, Uncle Nathan and Auntie Julie and Rachel and Adam, Auntie Sonja and Auntie Erin and Uncle Alan. We drove south to Vancouver, WA. It is on the north side of the river near Portland, Oregon. Paul has two brothers and two aunts who live there. We stayed with Alex and Carol. Paul test drove a Mini Cooper S and wanted to buy one, I went to Jo-Ann's and bought some super cute material, although this time I didn't find as many good deals as I thought there was in Great Falls in 2007. But it was still fun. After a bookstore, I think that might be my next favourite store. We went and picked blackberries with Auntie Alice and family. It was so fun. They live in a beautiful spot. They live right on the Columbia River and can watch the boats going up and down the river. Uncle Daud showed us the totem pole that Natives built to honour the Hawaiian chief Kalama. It is the tallest totem pole built from one tree. It is 50 metres tall. We went to Courtenay's Farewell Party at Alex's photography studio. Ruby and Melanie produced and directed an 18 minute movie. Melanie says she'll send it to us when it is ready. Alex took pictures of us on location at the University of Washington. And Paul helped Alex fix up his studio a bit. Carol made me feel important and smart when she asked me to participate in a brainstorming meeting for their business. Auntie Helen invited us over for lunch (which she shouldn't have) and then called Auntie Alice over to make it. It will be nice when she gets closer to us, as she has plans to go to Stirling for a while. Dan came over to visit before he had to take off to Seattle on business. And Marcie came over with Hudson and Maren for hot dogs. I had never met Maren and had only seen Hudson for about 2 minutes when he was about 4 months old. So that was fun. I took Aubrey and Iylah on a walk to the local playground and we picked cherries off of trees and blackberries on the bushes. We didn't break any world records in getting to the playground quickly. We stopped at Costco and stocked up on butter, cheese and milk. We bought a 4L jug of milk for $1.99. I nearly fell over! Here, the cheapest I have found is at Superstore (Beatrice milk) for $4.07. Quite the difference!
We drove all night, as we couldn't get a hold of Uncle Brent in Kamloops. We drove to Barrhead and got there just in time for breakfast. We ate and then went to the Barrhead Parade. That parade is hilarious and the amount of candy thrown out is just ridiculous!
We had a fantastic two weeks. The only thing that could have been better is if we could have stayed for another week!
Have a great day! I love you!
P.S. I apologize for the lack of pictures. I don't know why blogger is not letting me. My neighbour can't either though, so I am beginning to suspect Shaw.
1 comment:
Skim milk is cheaper, but (sigh) i don't buy it anymore, Neither Alan and I are big enough milk drinkers to buy our own kinds, so we settled on 1%.
When Shoppers Drugmart opened nearby they were selling 4 L of milk for $2.99.
I know I am pretty eciting, talking about the price of milk, but you know, not everyone can be as exciting as this.
Family holidays were so fun.
Post a Comment